The Top Ten are…
1. Take a Yoga Course – Koh Phangan is home to many yoga retreats and schools and is a very popular place for yogi’s. You can try a range of courses from daily drop-in sessions for beginners right through to full yoga teacher training.
2. Scuba Diving & Snorkelling – There are great dive sites at Koh Ma and Mae Haad which have a variety of corals, reefs and tropical fish. Premier dive spots in the Gulf of Thailand such as Sail Rock and Ang Thong National Marine Park are within easy reach of Koh Phangan. You can also learn to dive right here on the island or take advanced diving courses.
If you don’t have the time to learn how to dive, Koh Ma and Mae Haad are still perfect for snorkelling and worth a day trip.
3. Pamper Yourself – Indulge yourself at one of the many spas offering beauty treatments and massages. Prices are cheap compared to salons in the Western world so it’s a great place to get a genuine Thai massage for a fraction of the cost back home.
4. Learn how to cook Thai Food: Thai food is popular around the world and you can learn how to cook it during your holiday. A range of short courses which include a trip to the local market are available.
5. Go Trekking: Find out more about the island’s trekking routes. Most of Phangan’s tropical jungle is untouched, making it a great place to to go trekking. Be warned – some of the walks can be tough as they are steep and the jungle is hot and humid, but they are great fun!
6. Visit a waterfall: The islands waterfalls are in their full glory after the rainy season in Oct-Dec. However, they are still worth a visit all year round for the stunning natural scenery, especially Taan Sadet and Pheang waterfalls which are both set in national parks.
7. Learn Thai Massage – Several massage schools on the island teach this ancient art. Courses vary in length, depending on how expert you would like to be!
8. Learn Muay Thai – The are a number of Thai boxing gyms on the island, particuarly in and around the Thong Sala/Baan Tai area. No matter whether you are a beginner or an experienced fighter, there is training to suit all levels. It’s a great way to get fit, lose weight and meet new people! Find out more…
9. Go on a boat trip – Take a long-tail boat tours around the island or a day trip further afield to Ang Thong National Marine Park. Trips usually offer opportunities for snorkelling and offer lunch, snacks and drinks. There are also operators offering sailing and big game fishing.
10. Take part in water-sports & activities: – There are several places to do various types such as kite surfing, fishing and sailing. Visit Phangan Info for a comprehensive list. There are also waterparks with large slides and inflatibles, including Slip n Fly , Water World and The Challenge